Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Artist's Way check in - week 1

I've been doing my morning pages each day. Some days it's more like one big To Do list and other days it goes a little deeper than that. I think I'm beginning to truly understand "the purpose of the morning pages are to get to the other side. It seems to be freeing me up for the rest of the day, even if the day isn't filled with "creative pursuits".

It took some digging , but I was able to find three enemies of my creative self worth. My family has always been supportive of whatever I try so those monsters weren't so easy to find. But, find them, I did. And in finding them I was able to see how they shaped me in very subtle ways. As an adult I was able to understand what the child did not. That, in itself was an amazing experience. I felt lighter. Like some burden that I didn't even know I was carrying was lifted from me.

Since I am on vacation, the past couple of days have been an Artist Date. Collecting shells on the seashore, with the sun warming me, the ocean breeze cooling me off and the sound of the surf as the Atlantic Ocean crashes to the shore. I also went to a craft festival and Artist in the Park Day, where several painters and photographers had their artwork displayed.

I've been trying to fill the well. I'm reading a book, Stradivari's Genius and saw the movie Good Night...And Good Luck.

I have a couple of ideas I'm playing around with for quilts. This is the first step I've ever made into "making my own quilts". The ideas came to me a couple of days ago, after working with the morning pages and the tasks in chapter 1. They are just ideas, not even completely formed, but it's a start.

4 comments:

Jane Ann said...

Hi, Cathy--sounds like a meaningful week. I was struck by your comment re: monsters from your past. "And in finding them I was able to see how they shaped me in very subtle ways."

With few monsters in my own past, I spent time thinking of "champions" from my past, but I couldn't think of many of them either. The positive support I received was very subtle too. I think they thought I could do pretty much whatever I wanted to do, but no one ever actively encouraged me. No one ever gave me the tools needed to feel confident enough to stretch. Probably amounted to many lost opportunities.

Cathy said...

I think going through this book and with the positive support from this group you will find those tools you need. And with each tool you use, you will find more. One of my favorite sayings in the book is "As I create and listen, I will be led."

Rian said...

Well, just look at you--one week into it and you are already getting the creative flash! Good on ya!

Debra Dixon said...

Quilts come from ideas so jot them done and when you come home, give them a try. Be sure and post pictures so we can share in your delight!