Saturday, June 29, 2013
Saturday, February 23, 2013
I've been reading a lot of sewing blogs lately. They make it look so easy. And pretty. So I attempted Vogue 8790 It seemed simple enough. A back, 2 pieces for the front and 2 sleeves. short ones at that. I found some cotton lycra at Joann Fabrics. I measured, I pin fit and I cut out. I started to sew, but the thread I had gotten to match the fabric was too heavy. Who knew? Well, probably most other people, but remember I'm new to garment sewing. I programmed my sewing machine for stretch knits, and began sewing. The thread and garment jammed in the machine. In an effort to remove it, I ended up with a small hole in the fabric. Not a big deal. Minor seam adjustment and began again. After a few more attempts I realized that it was the thread and changed. Unfortunately I couldn't match the fabric so I had to use black. But it made all the difference. Sewing went much more smoothly. I had some weird thing with the gathers on the second side of the shirt. I tried to fix it, which made it a little better, but still there's this burp of fabric. It's a little big in the shoulders so next time I will go down a size. I guess it takes some experience to get the hang of the whole thing. It's wearable. In the dark. And if you don't look at the inside.