Friday, February 03, 2006

Week 10 check in

Week 10 check in. Here it is almost time for week 11 check in and I'm just checking in with week 10. I didn't feel there was very much in this chapter that I could relate to. As a matter of fact, her view on competition is completely opposite of mine. She sees competition as something that blocks creativity and I see it as something that pushes you to reach higher.
Although I could have done without this chapter, one thing I read that made me pause and think was "Art needs time to incubate, to sprawl a little, to be ungainly and misshapen and finally emerge as itself. The ego hates this fact. The ego wants instant gratification." That was really well said. I think of it as growing pains. And I am guilty of lacking patience at times. Yes I want to learn and get better but sometimes it doesn't happen fast enough.
I only did the morning pages 3 out of 7 days last week and the only task I did was touchstones, a list of things I love.

1 comment:

Rian said...

I agree with you about competition and I like the way you stated it--"pushes you to reach higher."

So even if we don't agree with Julia, at least we are thinking more about our creativity in general.