Thursday, March 17, 2011

St Patrick & the knitted monster

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Some people celebrate their Irish heritage by hoisting a glass of Guinness (yum).  Me? I eat.  And knit.

My monster is nearly complete.  All knitted up and just awaiting some eyes. I'm making a stop at Joanne Fabrics this evening after my violin lesson so I can finish him up.  Meanwhile, I'm working on my Cassidy cardigan.  I had the left front nearly finished when I realized a row of cables were crossed on the wrong row. rrrrrip!  I really can't say enough good things about this pattern (ravelry link).









The eating part.  Homemade Irish Soda Bread, Corned Beef, cabbage & champ.
























The corned beef recipe I used is called Kilkenny Corned Beef.  My mother has made it for years, and it's my absolute favorite.



Kilkenny Corned Beef with horseradish sauce
about 3 hours

1 piece corned beef
Boiling Water
1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices (usually packaged in with the corned beef)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 325.  Wash corned beef brisket & place in roasting pan.  Cover with boiling water & add pickling spices.  Cover pan with aluminum foil..  Bake @ 325 for about 2 hours.  When tender, allow to cool in cooking liquid.(This can be done the day before).  About an hour before serving, drain corned beef  from liquid, put in roasting pan & cook @ 325 for 30 min.  Prepare glaze by combining the brown sugar & mustard.  Spread over corned beef & cook for an additional 30 minutes.

Horseradish Sauce 
Prep time about 5 min
Total Time:  2 hours

8 oz container of sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons horseradish.

Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let flavors blend.


And since you know I don't cook without music, here's a list of some of today's favorites:

Carrickfergus - Lisa Kelly
Fiddlers Green - Noel Mcloughlin
Green & Red of Mayo - Saw Doctors
The Wind that Shakes the Barley - Loreena McKennitt
The Blacksmith - Liz Knowles
U2



So, since dinner is ready, let me just end
this post with an Irish toast:


May those who love us, love us.
And those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles, 

So we will know them by their limping.

No comments: