Sunday, March 06, 2011

Monsters in the House




I'm working on a knitted monster for an on-line friend that's going through a rough patch right now. I'm not the only one. There's several of us from, from all over. I raided my stash of left overs and was hoping to find some green or blue worsted weight. No such luck. So I'm using some Cascade 220 in an orange-red that I had left over from my Origami Cardi. I usually use dpn's when I knit in the round, but for some reason I kept twisting the yarn. So I tried magic lop for the first time. I'm not totally converted, but wow.

Since I've just joined the ranks of the unemployed, I thought this may be a good time to explore some cooking from other regions and countries. Maybe a new place once a week or so. Kind of like Julie & Julia, with knitting. And without the movie deal at the end.

Since tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, I decided to try my hand at making Gumbo. 'Cuz really, nobody does Fat Tuesday better than New Orleans! So I put on some music to get me in the mood and got to cooking. The aroma is wonderful. I used this recipes from Allrecipes.com. I did cook my roux longer than the recipe suggests, used about 1/2 of the salt and no file powder.

ETA: I'm not sure why Blogger wants my picture on top when I want it under the paragraph that it relates to. I'm tired of arguing with it so I'll leave it there .

No comments: